Tuesday, February 15, 2011

South-of-the-Border Corn Chowder

Great news for the blog--a new Southern Living cookbook is on its way! In case you haven't noticed, I LOVE Southern Living! One of my dream jobs would be to write a southern history column for the magazine. My other dream job would be to work as a professional bath product critic and do things like review various bath bubbles, but I don't think that's a real job.

Anyways, Southern Living called the other day and asked what I (their loyal reader) looks for in a recipe. I think I responded a little too enthusiastically. : )

Until the new book arrives, I'd like to share a recipe from the Southern Living Slow-Cooker Cookbook--one of my personal favorites. I forgot to take a picture this week (sorry!), but here you go...

South-of-the-Border Corn Chowder

3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 3/4 lbs.)
1 (16 oz.) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
2 (14-oz.) cans chicken broth
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup whipping cream

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in 4-quart slow cooker
2. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until potatoes are tender
3. Stir in cream. Using a potato masher, partially mash potatoes in slow cooker until chowder is desired consistency. (Makes 10 cups)

No comments:

Post a Comment